Tuesday, 24 September 2013

During the summer, I didn't get to read much. During the first few months of the year, I read the first four Harry Potter books. I took a break from reading as I found myself not being able to stop! The break enabled me to do my GCSEs without interruption but then I picked up the Harry Potter books again in the summer and read half of the fifth book. This book I still need to finish. I really enjoyed reading the books, it may be a little childish but I noticed that the books were sitting on my shelf and only one of them have actually been read. 

Whilst reading them, I found that I was loving the wonderful world J.K Rowling had created. It was so magical and it blew my mind how one person created the world of Harry Potter. I could really relate to all the characters and Rowling demonstrated such capability to keep me and many others engaged throughout the series. Rowling showed that she can keep us entertain with such simple methods of writing. 

I chose English literature because I really enjoyed it at GCSE. I love to analyse texts and books and I enjoy writing about what I can infer from hints and clues in the books. I knew that A level would enable me to read lots of novels and allow me to analyse and write which is what I was enjoying at GCSE.

I've been really enjoying The Handmaids Tale, its such an interesting book full of mysteries. I find it enjoyable to discover new things about the book and be able to piece more of the puzzle. I am currently on chapter seventeen and I will probably be reading more very soon. I think I'm really enjoying the dystopian fiction genre and I think that I will want to read more novels of this genre.

I have just begun to read Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad. I haven't read a lot of it yet so I'm still seeing whether I will enjoy this novel or not.

1 comment:

  1. Loving your comments. Glad you are gripped by Handmaid's Tale. There are lots to enjoy. How about Brave New World or A Clockwork Orange, Riddley Walker even. You may have already read The Hunger Games? Try a later Atwood like Oryx and Crake. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete